Sunday, January 29, 2012

Fat History Month - A Gorilla (2011) & Fucking Despair (2011)

The fine gentleman at Sweaters & Pearls Records was cool enough to send me some of their releases on 7" vinyl. First vinyl I've gotten in the mail and was quite jazzed to receive it, so many thanks. Fat History Month was just one of two bands I was given, in particular their A Gorilla EP. However, I felt each band had enough for me to write up separately. Fucking Despair was the full-length that came out before A Gorilla, on Sophomore Lounge Records. It is arty lo-fi rock with spoken word sections mingling with singing, sorta like Car Seat Headrest and Forest Porridge in that sense. Guitars that shuffle between droning and melodies are what stood out most strikingly to me when I first these these guys. The style of A Gorilla is the same, if perhaps a bit more brooding, which is to be expected when it was release right on the heels on the LP. However, they're both finely made releases. The goldenrod colored transparent vinyl that A Gorilla is pressed on is certainly a nice aesthetic touch as well. I'm linking to the bandcamp pages for the releases below where all the songs can be streamed and purchased, or if you want to go directly through the label you can find those links within this posting.

To be had here:




A Gorilla











Fucking Despair

No comments:

Post a Comment