Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Unicorns ~ some demos

indThis post is copied from a document I typed whilst in traffic, which to my best judgment is moving at an average speed of 12 miles per hour, but i might be too generous with that estitimate. Obviously it is much standing still, so I can type frequently. As for safety death seems like a sweet release to this mind-numbing waste of time that is Macomb County (never ever come here, even to visit). As listening to music is one of the very few options available in the car, I’ve decided to write my endorsement of the album I’m listening to (in reality, the 3rd album this car trip alone). Not a real album at that though, it is the early demos by the Unicorns called Three Inches of Blood. I am sure many of heard of it, but I don’t see the harm in sharing it. I really can’t stop listening to it lately, and this is hardly the first time I’ve formed a mild obsession with the Unicorns. I can’t get enough of them combination of indie pop and noise rock that they so outstandingly pull off. The fact that these are lo-fo demos hardly matters when it is a decidedly lo-fo band to begin with. Additionally, that some of the tracks are the same songs just preformed differently isn’t bad either; I mean they’re fucking different. I will admit that the best tracks are those unique to it, such as “Down on the Corner” (not a CCR cover thankfully) and “Peach Moon” which has some excellent keyboards. Although, the very best in my opinion is the raunchy and sporadically rhythmed track entitled “Do the Knife Fight.” The song begins with the swapping vocals that the Unicorns often unitize, but continues to have shifting beats and after a great drum solo busts into epitomized noise rock croon that I can never fully manage to purge from my mind. Certainly not to be underestimated if you like the album but haven’t yet bothered to get any demos by the group (note my assumption that you have the album and EP).
Upon finally getting home I’ve decided there is not good reason to no include in this post the other album of demos I’ve got by the Unicorns.Named for the one of their own lyrics, The Unicorns Are People Too is an excellent set of demos that explore alternate versions of some great songs the did on the main release. Some of them are considerably slower like the version of “Ghost Mountain” heard hereupon. Not unlike the other album there are originals to be found and enjoyed as well, but seeing as I’ve already given as detailed a review as I normally care to on the first you’ll just have to take my word for this one and get it too, damn it.

To be had here (192 kbps):
Three Inches of Blood (2002)

The Unicorns Are People Too (2003)

No comments:

Post a Comment