Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Lou Breed - Stoned Out: Miami Beach (2010)

Do believe I was just looking around at what was tagged "Michigan" and "Detroit" on bandcamp when I was stuck somewhere without my hard drive and a dead iPhone. I thought the name Lou Breed was a rather nifty pun and downloaded the album Stoned Out: Miami Beach. Pretty sure I remember they are from Ann Arbor, about an hour jaunt from where I dwell. What I got was better than I could have hoped for considering what most of the other stuff I was finding sounded like. However, the more I listened the more it summoned memories of many bands I've enjoyed, in particular Elephant 6 groups like Apples in Stereo and Olivia Tremor Control as well as the recently posted Pill Wonder. Sampling and funky electronic effect are of course liberally used throughout the album, and those with lyrics have that high register indie pop charm. It is delightful as all get out and puts me in an exceptionally pleasant mood. Naturally it is free for download from bandcamp. Pretty good for a random discovery based on none more than a punny name, although I'll admit to seeing it about since then on good blogs like ongakubaka.

To be had here:
Lou Breed - Stoned Out: Miami Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment