Monday, November 29, 2010

Frankie Rose And The Outs - Frankie Rose And The Outs (2010)

I wasn't sure what I'd find when I listened to this band, yet what they are is dynamic. Upon the first impression I was thinking of Sleater-Kinney and the Breeders in comparisons. As I continued playing the album, while the roots in music references I quickly jumped to didn't vanish it did get built on. After that I realized that perhaps more contemporary references would be more suitable, so here is a go: somewhere between Vivian Girls and Eternal Summers. Indeed Frankie Rose is a Vivian Girl, as well as having been in Dum Dum Girls and Crystal Stilts. Frankie Rose's prominent vocals propel the music whenever they appear, but the musicianship is notable even without it. This is to say that they can make a catchy lo-fi tune that shouldn't be scoffed at. Another thing that is good about the album is that the songs sound genuinely different, which can sometimes not be the case with lo-fi groups that rely too much on distortion and percussion. Instead they were easily recognizable tracks that as a result can very swiftly become lodged in your mind. I can't shake "Must Be Nice" out of my head. Do hope you enjoy it as much as I have thus far.

To be had here:
Frankie Rose And The Outs - Frankie Rose And The Outs [224 VBR kbps]

1 comment: