Monday, November 14, 2011

Apples in Stereo - Fun Trick Noisemaker (1995)

I've posted many Elephant 6 bands on the blog, and it shouldn't be any news that I remain an unabashed fan of nearly every project connected to the collective. The real question is how the blog went this long without my posting this founding band. The force behind Apples in Stereo, Robert Schneider was a fulcrum upon which much of the begins of the collective were balanced along with the label that at one time existed. He grew up on Ruston, Louisiana along with many other E6 musicians I've posted, like Jeff Mangum, Bill Doss, and William Cullen Hart. Beyond this group he was involved in producing Olivia Tremor Control and Neutral Milk Hotel albums. As for Fun Trick Noisemaker in particular, it was the full-length debut of Schneider's band and can still be considered one of the best albums to ever come out of the whole mess of E6. Incredibly lighthearted and charming, every song on this album is fantastic psych-pop gems. If my arm was twisted I'd say "Glowworm" and "Green Machine" are likely my very favorites, but any time I've gotten a chance to sit down and heard the whole album it's been a treat.

To be had here:
Apples in Stereo - Fun Trick Noisemaker [160 kbps]

2 comments:

  1. Thanks!
    their last stuff is a bit disappointing, maybe too cheesy... but this one is really awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. To the above poster:
    I beg to differ, New Magnetic Wonder was The Apples going ELO on our aural ass to extents I found sublime, however I haven't heard their last LP, but for Fun Trick Noisemaker I totally get down to Green Machine the most.

    ReplyDelete