Thursday, April 5, 2012

Ray Charles - Modern Sounds of Country and Western Music (1962)

Besides the music I get in submissions I've been almost entirely devoted to digging up music that predates me by decades. However, with only intermittent internet access and much of that being of an inferior quality, it is slow going. Didn't stop me from listening to and augmenting what soul music I had. When I was talking to my brother about how I've been spending nights listening to Otis Redding and Ray Charles he told me he had Modern Sounds of Country and Western Music on vinyl. I didn't know until then Charles had done a country album, but holy shit is it something to behold. This is an bonus track version, there is a second volume but I haven't gotten my hands on it yet. Yet while I'm getting after that, this one was too fantastic not to share. Charles singing and the arrangements are unbelievable, and the selection of songs is the bee's knees. Three Hank Williams songs, from when even popular country was really great. Finally I got all your emails folks and I am downloading the albums with the swifter internet I have available today so hopefully we'll get some fresh sounds up soon.

To be had here:
Ray Charles - Modern Sounds of Country and Western Music [192 kbps]

4 comments: