Saturday, February 12, 2011

Dressy Bessy

Lately I've been entertaining some retrospective sentiments in my music listening. Hunting through my collection I've taken to marking some of the albums for sharing here. Some of these bands I really thought were the bee's knees and the ones that are actually making it on here I still think hold considerable merit. Dressy Bessy is a great example of a group that resisted my constant reassessing and devaluing of my opinions. One of many bands that are connected in some way to the sprawling Elephant 6 collective, most directly via the guitarist John Hill who also plays in Apples in Stereo. However, it was formed by the singer/guitarist Tammy Ealom, who played with the Minders, and Darren Albert and Rob Greene serving as drummer and bassist respectively. The music they made some lighthearted indie pop that often incorporated much fuzzy guitar and cheery singing. Although they haven't released anything in a few years, they were rather productive through the late 90s to 2008 when they're last LP came out. Personally, I feel their best work is to be heard on the earlier albums Pink Hearts Yellow Moons and Sound Go Round but none of them are duds and if you like their sound it is pretty consistent.

To be had here:




Pink Hearts Yellow Moons (1999) [192 kbps]












California EP (2000) [128 kbps]












Sound Go Round (2002) [192 kbps]













Little Music: Singles 1997-2002 (2003) [192 VBR kbps]












Dressy Bessy (2003) [192 kbps]












Electrified (2005) [224 VBR kbps]











HOLLERandSTOMP (2008) [256 VBR kbps]

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting these. Actually, I own all but one (which I can't wait to check out). I hope folks will buy their CDs; they are fabulous and Tammy E is so mod and wonderful - live and on record. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please re-up your Dressy Bessy stuff! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete