Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Lou Reed - Transformer (1972)

You see, when I said Os Mutantes was like my favorite band, this is why... now that I have gone through a phase of listening to them morning, noon, and night I naturally shifted to one of my other "favorite bands" the Velvet Underground. However, I'm really into Lou Reed's solo work on Transformer this time around. I find it funny that he made a self-titled release before this that nobody cared about, and then it was like David Bowie took pity and helped him make this. Don't get me wrong, I love Reed, perhaps as much as any songwriter I've ever heard, but Bowie rescuing someone is something to remember. Of course there is the fact that many of these songs were first heard here as well, before the versions he did with the Velvet Underground were unearthed and released later. As usual the tracks I am unable to get over are different this time too, with me really hankering to hear "Satellite of Love" and "Andy's Chest" with my morning coffee. So basically, if you don't have this for any reason, you should and you shame me by not already loving it.

To be had here:
Lou Reed - Transformer [192 VBR kbps]

2 comments: