Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Meic Stevens

Several months back I discovered the existence of Meic Stevens. The best way I can relate what I think I understand to be his situation is that he is another of those regional stars that never made it big in the wider markets. A Welshman, Meic Stevens, still enjoys some popularity in his homeland but back in 1970 when he made his biggest push to break into the wider British and beyond market with the album Outlander he didn't make it. Personally, I don't feel it is for lack of talent, but it could have been that there were many folk musics popping out of the woodworking everywhere in the world in that post-Dylan fame period. Outlander is sung in English in an attempt to cash in on the board appeal, but once that did happen Stevens retreated to Wales and made his follow-up release, Gwymon. It was done in Welsh and I find it to be astounding. When I was seeking information on Stevens I saw he was an influence for later Welsh bands like the Super Furry Animals and Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, which if you read the blog you know I am a fan of. Coming to Steven's music from a modern mindset is like taking Gruff Rhys and trying to make him play jangly 70s style popular folk and I think that is a wonderful thing. Almost like listen to John Lee Hooker and understanding Rock and Roll more. So do enjoy if this is the sort of thing you're into.

To be had here:




Outlander (1970) @ 192 VBR kbps











Gwymon (1972) @ 256 kbps

No comments:

Post a Comment