Monday, December 22, 2008

Best of 2008 partie deuxième

Here is where I'm willing to bet my ass old Danger Dog and many others will come to find issue in my ranking of this years album. I say to that, do your old list you sons of bitches.

7. Boris - Smile
The new album by Boris is amazing. Perhaps to Danger Dog's dismay I like to compare it to garage rock, but even if you're on his side there you can't deny their less metal and more psychedelic rock here. As far as I can tell they're an unstoppable force of sound. Moreover, at a few moments they sound like TV on the Radio, which is definitely creepy.



6. The Music Tapes - For Clouds and Tornadoes
Finding this album here should not be a surprise to any who recall my extreme love for Elephant 6. Julian Koster has made what I am very excited to say is his best work to date here. The title is very suitable, as the songs are fanciful numbers including the manifestations of air. "Tornado Longing for Freedom" is my favorite track, but throughout Koster makes excellent use of singing saws, string instruments galore, and ethereal singing.


5. Tape - Luminarium
This was one of my first posts on the blog, and astoundingly it remains one of my most listened albums since I've gotten my hands on it. These Swedes blew my mind and continually please me with their electronically flavored post-rock. I play this for many occasions from working on my many college papers to something nice to converse with friends over to blasting it in my car on my nightly rides home from work.

No comments:

Post a Comment